Yes. The. Struggle. Is. Real.
This is why until certain MAKE UP COMPANIES & STORES have total inclusivity we should just STOP! If you’re going to take a blind chance buying and ordering products then do it with a small business and/or with black owned/poc businesses that’s all about inclusivity.
I have this problem in my local Walgreens and targets. Yes the area I live in is 70%+ white and Mexican but hey that leaves about 30% of melanated people hanging. In fact my local stores struggle to even put varied melanated shades in their stores at all, or very little (e.g. 2 rows of melanated foundations vs. 4 rows of “others”) which results in my shades selling out quickly, me having to travel all over town and the stores are slow to re-up 😡
Business Per Usual
The stores place the blame on the manufacturers, the manufacturers place the blame on the stores, but no one cares enough to take ownership and find what seems to be an easy fix all whilst taking our all lives matter, all inclusive dollar (yes I’m throwing shade). And trust me this complaint comes from all poc not just black people. ☕️👩🏾👩🏽👩🏿👩🏼
I want my non melanated sis/bros to know there are plenty of black owned cosmetic companies that are inclusive of your shades on the color spectrum and have really beautiful fire ass colors and products. I’m talking foundations, shadows, lips, lashes bronzers etc. that are of excellent great quality.
Poc and black people in this industry seem to ALWAYS think about every skin tone from Iman, Black Opal, Coloured Raine, KA’OIR and the list goes on. Reason why is, melanated people are way more inclusive out the gate because poc and black people come in a wide range of shades so we generally HAVE TO be inclusive (this doesn’t mean the Macs and Bobbi Browns are not so get your panties out a bunch LOL). It just means we tend to not see a reason to box anyone out especially if their money spends all the same. That’s just smart business.
Trust Me I Get It
Though I know for my non melanated sis/bros these stores and manufacturers are industry giants, easily accessible, marketing Tsunamis and a one stop shop with total ease…FOR YOU, but how are smaller companies going to ever take down the cosmetic giants and even the playing fields if you don’t help? Trust me companies become our bitch when they know YOU KNOW you have the power. That’s just the way capitalism works.
Can You Hear Me Now?
I’m speaking to the ones that actually care to see change. I’ll bet you have girlfriends/guy friends in all shades that you love, admire, respect, hang out with and genuinely care about, think how much you would be helping them/us if you kicked up dust when you entered these stores, using your voice, complaining to a manager, questioning them and wanting an answer, asking for corporate a number and/or flood emails? Yo, I’m not asking you to not meet your cosmetic needs, just asking that you use your power to create change!
In fact you (non melanated) would probably grab their attention more because the industry tends to cater to you. It’s a billion dollar industry so if fifty to a hundred thousand took a stand and complained, hit social media (like the author of this post linked below did), made some serious noise or threatened their profit and brand name I guarantee not only would they take notice but swift action to resolve this ever so EASY ASS FIX would be handled in a snap.
To the companies Listen black people and POC are not saying we won’t support or don’t like your products, I’ll even acknowledge improvements through the years, I mean the stats clearly shows we love make up just like the next, but we are tired of being boxed out, unheard, unlearned and dismissed at our cost. We freely give you our money in exchange for the latest and greatest but when we voice frustration or try to correct a wrong we get the standard computer generated email and/or “guest services” raggedy ass replies. Uuuggghhh the good thing is Many are taking a stand so take heed.
However, this struggle is not new, you have make up favs/gurus/experts like Jackie Aina who have covered the industry woes, voiced her complaints, used her massive platform to reach thousands and offered solutions especially as it pertains to shade variations just as much as she endorses and praises when it’s done right! And yes, that helps tremendously especially when you have over a million followers but even they need our help as well to achieve change so lesgo!
If you don’t have FB here you go
LIKE TOAST COMMENT SUBSCRIBE